The Rest…

(I meant to make this one entry with multiple pages, but I screwed up).

My boy had a big soccer tournament, so I took a quick shower at Bastrop State Park and drove to the game. It was a good game. Afterward, we headed home, had time for a bit of rest and another quick shower, and then we met friends for the UT game. By the end of the day, I was exhausted.

Sunday was another early morning soccer game. They won (which meant a semi-final game in the afternoon)! I headed from the soccer field to meet girlfriends for brunch (there were new babies to see and hold, though poor Daphne was sick, which meant Jude got all the attention). Somehow, I was supposed to get 10 miles in…we had to leave for the next soccer game at 3:15. What to do?
I was really struggling; the 10 miles seemed like too much, but I felt that if I didn’t do it, I would be “behind.” I convinced myself to go to St. Eds and simply run for time.

Unfortunately, I was still feeling the effects of my fall. I always trip with my right foot, and it pulls my hamstring (I guess) when I do it.  It took awhile to warm up to where it felt comfortable. Then, the area is actually bruised, and darned if I couldn’t feel THAT while I was climbing. And then, I started to have a bit of chaffing. So here I was, hobbling along, messing with the shorts on my skort every few minutes.  I’m sure it wasn’t a pretty picture. I did all of the jeep road at the top of the hill, which is just not fun at 1:00PM in the sun; even though it was cooler, there was no breeze. Normally, I totally bomb the down hills on the way back, but at some point I was just tired, and I actually walked the last short section of down hill into the creek. And I walked back into the parking lot to cool down a bit. I was able to squeeze in an 1:20 minute run, which made me feel good; even though it was short, the difficulty made up for lack of length, and I had conquered the mental hurdle of simply going back out.

It was a great soccer game, though our boys did not win. We stood and watched another semifinal, as the game went into PKs–how exciting (maybe you have to be a soccer mom to say that)! About that time, I got a text from a friend who was having an impromptu cookout. We wrapped up the game, got back home, the boy showered and we pulled together some food, and drove over to hang out with some old friends and meet some new ones. What a nice night!

It sure is nice, though, to have quiet time today.

(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)

Published by Leah Nyfeler

I'm a writer, editor, runner, and adventurer who is always looking for the next new story, exciting adventure, and good meal/book/movie. My focus is on helping people find their best, healthiest self through sharing what I know and how I've come to learn it. In addition to my blog "Enjoying the Journey: Observations on the Fit Life" at, my articles have appeared in a variety of print and online magazines. You can hear me as part of the 2015 Austin cast of Listen To Your Mother.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.